Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Uniform Naturalization?

In Section 8 Congress is to “establish a uniform rule for naturalization.” “Uniform” means consistent, unvarying. To “naturalize” someone is “to invest an alien with the rights and privileges of a citizen.”

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website lists these requirements laid down by Congress in the Immigration and Nationality Act: (1) a period of continuous residence and physical presence in the U.S., (2) residence in a particular USCIS district prior to filing, (3) ability to read, write, and speak English, (4) knowledge and understanding of U.S. history and government, (5) good moral character, (6) attachment to the principles of the U.S. Constitution, and (7) favorable disposition toward the U.S.

The oath of allegiance for naturalized U.S. citizens is this: "I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

So why are there so many illegal aliens in this country receiving “the rights and privileges of a citizen” without having met the requirements of naturalization? There are an estimated 12 to 20 million living here illegally burdening our economy with an estimated $67 to $87 billion each year. There is nothing “uniform” about that!

“Political correctness is simply tyranny with manners.” –Charlton Heston

1 comment:

  1. Gotta love Heston!
    Katy, I am loving your bites...
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete