Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Wise words

In Luke 18 Jesus spoke a parable so we would remember to "always pray and not lose heart."

"There was a in a city a judge who did not fear God nor respect man. And there was a widow in that city who came to him saying, 'Help me against my adversary.' And he would not for a while, but afterward said within himself, 'Though I do not fear God nor respect man, yet because this widow troubles me, I will give her justice, lest by her continual coming she weary me'."

The judge didn't do the right thing because it was the RIGHT thing; he did it because the widow wore him out with her persistence!

We can't make Congress and the President do the right thing, but we sure can wear them out with our persistent phone calls, emails, postcards, letters, and wherever possible, personal visits.

Jesus also said, "Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves." (Matthew 10:16) We have to know our enemy and be aware of his tactics, but not adopt them ourselves.

After all, we don't need the enemy's tactics; we have the truth. And absolute truth is indestructible.

"Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong." (I Corinthians 16:13) I read the King James because I love the English language of that time (Shakespeare), but when we see the word "quit" we think of something entirely different. It says, "Act like men." Now is not the time for the faint of heart! Be strong! Remember Who is on our side....

No comments:

Post a Comment