Sunday, October 17, 2010

I get to educate an Obama zombie at Bucee's!

On the way back from the North Houston Tea Party Patriots rally to encourage people to vote beginning Monday (early voting in Texas), our caravan stopped at Bucee's, a great "pit stop" on I-10 not quite halfway from Houston to Kerrville. Because our fife & drum corps had played at the rally, I was still in costume although most of the kids had changed out of theirs.

A young woman about 19 or 20 kept staring at me and finally asked, "Who are you supposed to be?"

"I'm part of a Revolutionary War fife & drum corps. We played at a Houston tea party this morning and are on our way home."

"What's a tea party?" she asked. Seriously, and without rancor.

So I explained about the tea party movement, how we took our symbolism from the original tea party (by this time the girl's mother had joined us and was nodding).

"What are you protesting?" asked the girl (who was blond, I'm sorry to say).

"Out of control government."

"How is the government out of control?" (At this point her mom says, "That's your guy, Obama's doing.")

I explained how the elected officials in Washington were no longer listening to their constituents and were instead "ruling" as they saw fit rather than follow the Constitution.

"Are they really doing that?"

I think her mother was excited that somebody other than her was explaining "how things work" to her clueless daughter. I don't know if I made any headway, but at least she was willing to listen. It's been a while since I watched someone's gears turn so slowly (maybe they're rusty inside that propaganda-filled brain of hers).

It occurs to me that this is how we turn things around--not at huge rallies with thousands of like-minded people, but one-on-one, toe-to-toe with the zombies themselves. It reminds me a little of how the Apostles "turned the world upside-down" in the first century preaching the gospel to any willing audience, but often just to one or two individuals because each and every soul is precious in God's sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment