Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Woman Blockwalking Run Over by Own Pickup

That MIGHT have been the headline in our local paper thanks to my own stupidity.

I was in a hurry to get home, but I had just one more house on my list. We designed postcard-sized doorhangers with voter info on one side and candidate info on the other. I left my pickup running and THOUGHT I'd set the parking brake. I ran up the sidewalk and attached the card to the door handle.

When I turned around, my truck (standard transmission) was rolling backward toward the T-intersection, headed for the street sign and the neighbor's rock flowerbed. Panicked, I raced for the truck and like an idiot opened the door and tried to jump in. I'm too short and chubby to "jump" into a Ford F150 cab while it's gaining speed.

Fortunately I realized I could fall and be run over by the front wheel, so I backed away, and at the last moment the truck missed the street sign, rolled across the busy (and at that time empty) street, jumped the curb, and stopped momentarily in a yard, missing the mailbox!

As it began to roll the other direction, I DID jump in the cab, shift to first, and got out of there as fast as I could while shaking uncontrollably. I don't think anyone saw me. If they did and happened to video what happened, look for me on America's Funniest Home Videos....

No comments:

Post a Comment