Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Best Weapon

For a long time now I have debated whether or not to purchase a handgun and take the course to obtain a concealed carry permit. What holds me back is the fact that I don't have great eyesight and that I am a total klutz. I would hate to think that someone's life could be endangered unintentionally.

The Scripture reminds me where the true battle lies: "For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh; (for the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds) casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ." II Corinthians 10:3-5

And then I think about Ephesians 6:11-12, where we are admonished to "put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." Our sword, our only offensive weapon? Verse 17 says our "sword of the Spirit...is the word of God."

It's so much more powerful than a handgun, or a real sword, or even a nuclear bomb. "For the word of God is living, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is able to judge the thoughts and intents of the heart." Hebrews 4:12

So I've decided, rather than purchase a handgun, I'm going to spend more time with God's word, to increase knowledge, and in prayer, to ask for wisdom and the courage to speak out without fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment